The service portfolio is a list of all services offered by the service provider at some point in time. The management of the service portfolio is a crucial process for all organizations aiming to comply with ITSM standards. The goal of this process is to both define and maintain a service portfolio. In the end, this process ensures that the service provider has the right mix of services to meet current and future business plans.
Challenges of portfolio management
- Diversity of service portfolio management methodologies used by projects and service providers. As the EOSC catalogue has to be able to accommodate services from all these providers, the service portfolio management process needs to be flexible.
- Established ITSM frameworks such as ITIL and ISO20000 are not easily applied to federated IT infrastructures. Therefore the EOSC service portfolio management methodology will be based on FitSM and augment it with EOSC specific processes where needed.
- The heterogeneity of service providers
- The heterogeneity of users
- Dealing with service quality: depending on the inclusiveness of EOSC a trade-off needs to be made between establishing a minimum quality level and trying to include as many service providers as possible.
Overview of Service Portfolio Management