SD ID: Photon-Neutron Science Demonstrator
ORGANISATIONS: DESY, EMBL, ESRF, EU-XFeL, ESS, ILL, STFC
CONTACT: Volker Guelzow, DESY
The Photon Neutron Data Science Demonstrator will leverage on the photon-neutron community to improve computing facilities by creating a virtual platform for all users.
The Photon-Neutron science demo is based on the concept that:
- Data sets become too large to take home;
- The EOSC forms a platform for analysis and data storage
- The EOSC allows for easy data sharing
- Data rates require dedicated central IT infrastructure, way beyond previous requirements;
- A wide variety of scientific users means significant number of data formats and analysis software.
Exploiting a community of more than 35,000 unique users (in 2011), the science demo aims to enable cloud based storage and compute solutions, harmonize the privacy issues, foster standardized data formats and allow transparent and secure remote access to all data.
- Harmonize authentication and authorization - Shibboleth
- Standardize data formats NeXus/HDF5 and annotation of data
- Allow transparent and secure remote access to data
- Establish sustainable and compatible distributed data catalogues
- Allow long term preservation of data
- Provide compatible data analysis software
- Promote data policies in laboratories