EOSC Data Interoperability Ensure Availability of Scientific Data
The overall objective of task 6.2 was to complement the FAIR principles by providing a strategy and a set of recommendations for the EOSC to improve the availability of research data to users and services through an open cloud infrastructure. This deliverable describes the data interoperability stakeholders involved in the data interoperability strategy and presents a set of recommendations driving a coherent strategy. Furthermore, it introduces a selection of technical solutions and a tailored strategy to improve the availability of research datasets to users and services in the EOSC.
The six recommendations driving the proposed strategy are:
- The data guidelines and technical solutions proposed by the EOSC should be specific, common, simple, lightweight and collaborative.
- All the data resources contributing to the EOSC should expose structured metadata.
- The EOSC should reuse or build upon existing standards and formats, and promote the use of common best practices across scientific domains.
- The EOSC should propose minimum information guidelines across scientific domains especially targeting key operational metadata which is important for services consuming data.
- The EOSC should support an interconnected ecosystem of metadata catalogues as a fundamental service component to facilitate data discovery.
- The EOSC should implement a monitoring service to validate standards and recommendations proposed by the EOSC.
The four technical solutions that comprise the data strategy are:
- A common minimum information metadata guideline for datasets in the EOSC
- Recommendations to establish a coordinated and interconnected ecosystem of dataset metadata catalogues
- Adoption of ResearchSchemas as a means to drive research data discoverability and accessibility
- A set of recommendations for common properties across multiple data types
Stakeholders and technical solutions proposed in the data interoperability strategy
Get involved with EOSC Community
And discover more about the Final report on Data Interoperability!