SD ID: VisualMedia: a service for sharing and visualizing visual media files on the web
Organisations & contacts
Roberto Scopigno, ISTI-CNR, Visual Computing Lab
Carlo Meghini, ISTI-CNR, Nemis Lab
Franco Niccolucci and Achille Felicetti, PIN
Sara di Giorgio, MIBACT – ICCU
OVERVIEW: Visual aspects are of paramount importance for Cultural Heritage (CH) research, and 3D models are also playing an important role in CH research and management.
The science demonstrator provides researchers with a system to publish on the web, visualize and analyze images and 3D models in a common workspace, enabling sharing, interoperability and reuse.
The goal of the VisualMedia service is to enable the easy publication and visualization on the web of high-resolution images and 3D models, with a thumbnail-based browsing interface. In addition to this, it is working to offer the customization of presentation through the selection of different browsing systems for 3D models, as well as metadata enrichment based on automatic processing of related documentation. This process will result in supporting creators of visual content (2D and 3D data) with a very easy procedure for publishing those data on the web and providing interactive visualization support, thus enabling data sharing opportunities to ignite collaborative research on CH topics, and finally yet importantly, the education of researchers in Cultural Heritage in moving towards the incorporation of virtual research environments in research methodology and experience use of cooperative visualization
- Web publications and visualization of high-resolution images and 3D models module;
- Thumbnail-based browsing interface;
- Customization of presentation through the selection of different browsing systems for 3D models;
- Metadata enrichment based on automatic processing of related documentation.
Enables automatic visual data conversion in efficient web-compliant formats and related data publication on the web;»Offers interactive visualization tools for different types of data (not just 3D), all of them with a common interface; »Does not require web management experience to the data content creators or the data consumer, they are just asked to fill a web form and to be able to use a standard web browser;»Covers a domain where commercial systems offers only partial support (the main competitor offers only 3D models support).
- visual (2D and 3D) data visualization improvement
- collaborative research increase
- educate CH researchers in moving towards the incorporation of virtual research environments in research methodology and experience use of cooperative visualization
FAIR DATA CHALLENGES
- Findability and Accessibility: metadata enrichment enables better findability;
- Interoperability and Integration: different visual data formats transformation in the same one to allow analysis and comparisons;
- Reusability: enabled by integration and joint presentation.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION
TSee the instructions published on the system web on the data formats accepted by the VisualMedia upload form. For any other not supported data type, the instructions mention other open-source tools for converting the data to one of the accepted data formats of the Visual Media service.