Prior to EOSCpilot, there was very little guidance on the appropriate policies from a national level, up to an institutional level. Clearly, the policy environment then was not conducive, nor ready for a European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). But through a multi-pronged approach, EOSCpilot has set the foundational efforts needed that other follow-on projects will take forward.
3 Key EOSC Policy Contributions
Implementation Roadmap of practical policy actions
Open Science Monitoring Framework
Open Science Policy Toolkit
9 Final Policy Recommendations to be implemented for a successful EOSC
- Ethics: Commit to a policy of maximal transparency and accountability, in the context of any activity that relates to EOSC data, data providers, services or users, including activities carried out with third parties.
- Access: EOSC resources must provide access to their facilities and be accessible themselves in an open, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) and equitable manner for excellent Open Science and Open Scholarship to be performed, shared and exploited.
- Open Science Conduct and Outputs: Simplify, clarify and improve consistency to enable and encourage the practice of Open Science.
- Intellectual Property Rights: Encourage open access to and reutilisation of research outputs by providing a comprehensive and coherent IPR framework.
- Awareness and Skills: Help develop the necessary awareness and skills for the EOSC.
- Incentives: Provide incentives for practicing Open Science and embed open principles in recruitment, promotion and evaluation of researchers at all stages of their careers.
- Policy Supporting Services: Develop and operate Open Science Policy Supporting Services to assist policy adoption and promote best practices.
- Data Protection and Information Security: Ensure EOSC Open Access research data use and reuse permit the rights and obligations of Data Protection Legislation (most notably the EU General Data Protection Regulation) to be achieved in a fair, transparent and accountable manner.
- Procurement: Ensure that aggregated procurement is utilised by the EOSC where appropriate when making resources available to the EOSC marketplace.
Policy Implementation Roadmap
The final set of recommendations and their implementing actions represent an overall policy proposition for an EOSC which is Ethical, Open, Secure and Cost-effective. These four main principles, elaborated below, represent the desired strategic outcome for the EOSC.
Policy Recommendation White Papers
These are the accompanying white papers to the initial draft policy recommendations.
EOSC Policy Supporting Services and Building Blocks
EOSCpilot has produced an already usable Open Science Policy Toolkit
Open Science Policy Toolkit
The Open Science Policy Toolkit identifies 60 third party tools that can help develop and implement best practice Open Science policies.
The toolkit is highly beneficial for Research Producing Organisations, research infrastructures, and funders or ministries. The specifications for building this toolkit has also been produced by the project.
Access the toolkit now or check out the framework updates.
EOSC Open Science Policy Registry Framework
The registry is a (semi-)automated framework to help EOSC stakeholders and service providers assess policy alignment and compliance with the EOSC’s Policy Recommendations and Rules of Participation.
Access the Framework now or check out the framework updates!
EOSC Open Science Monitoring Framework
The Open Science Monitoring Framework is foreseen to be one of the services in the overall EOSC system, i.e., a monitor-as-a-service tool as part of the EOSC software stack, collecting indicators and monitoring data by the organizations participating in EOSC, and offering to the EOSC stakeholders the functionality for monitoring, visualizing and gaining insights about OS trends and impact.
Alternatively, the implementation, customisation and deployment of the Open Science Monitoring Framework could be performed by each individual organization participating in the EOSC, which in turn publishes the monitoring results to the EOSC portal.
Access the framework now or check our the framework updates!
EOSCpilot’s impact on EOSC policy-setting
- EOSCpilot contributed to the implementation of a European open science policy framework where research artefacts (data, publications, methods, models, software, etc.) are open by default.
- The project helped define relevant policy schemes (specifications, scope, recommendations and supporting structures) for an efficient, open and trusted EOSC.
- Pioneering work was achieved and helped foster innovative research and science by lowering the barriers to interact with open data science environment provided by the EOSC.
Icons: roadmap by Berkah Icon, monitoring by ProSymbols, and Checklist by BomSymbols from the Noun Project